Quilt-as-you-go Trivet Set
Hello WeAllSew readers,
It’s Minki Kim, and you can find me at Instagram @zeriano and MinkiKim.com. I also design fabric for Riley Blake Designs and I have my own line of sewing patterns. You can find my video tutorials on my YouTube channel, MinkiKim.
I am excited to share this easy-to-make patchwork trivets. Easy-to-follow sewing instructions will have you finish this practical mat in one afternoon! My 10 year old daughter, Claire, had so much fun to sew quilt-as-you-go trivet. It’s a perfect project to sew with your little one. Adjust the size as you wish. Mine is 10” and 8 3/4” circle.
Materials to Sew Quilt-As-You-Go Trivet
Finished size: 10” diameter
- scraps of fabric
- 12” x 12” lining fabric
- 12” x 12” cotton batting
- 2” x 25” binding fabric
- download the trivet pattern
- a sewing machine. I sew on a BERNINA 215
Note: All seam allowances are 1/4″ unless otherwise noted.
How to make the Quilt-As-You-Go Trivet
1. Arrange the scraps of fabrics that goes well together. My tip is cut dark color fabric small and light color fabric big.
2. Place a small piece of fabric right side up in the center of the batting. With right sides together, place a second scrap, aligning on raw edges. Sew together.
3. Continue adding scraps all the way around your patchwork with the same manner.
4. Trace 10” circle using a temporary fabric pen or pencil.
5. Roughly cut out with about 1/2” bigger circle. With right side down, place the lining fabric under the batting. Pin them in place.
6. Quilt as you desired. Cut out the circle through the traced line.
7. Press 2” x 25” binding in half lengthwise and sew the binding to the trivet.
8. Hand stitch or machine sew the binding to the lining to finish.
I hope you enjoy making it. I am going to use big circle as a cover for my standing mixer.
What you might also like
9 comments on “Quilt-as-you-go Trivet Set”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
You don’t mention that the binding should be cut on the bias.