A Little Inspiration . . . and you may win a BERNINA 350PE!
In November, BERNINA of America partnered with Coats to announce a Block Challenge using Coats Eclectic Elements by Tim Holtz fabric. A simple 12″ x 12″ block is all you need to create to be entered to win one of 24 fabulous prices, including the Bernina 350 PE.
If your creativity needs a bit of inspiration, look no further. Coats’ Rail Fence Pincushion is a quick and easy make, perfect for getting inspired to make a 12″ x 12″ block. Instructions for the project download can be found at the bottom of this post.
As a reminder, here are details of the Challenge for you to savor and consider.
Now through January 11, 2016, post on the Make It Coats Facebook page your 12” x 12” block made from Tim Holtz’s Eclectic Elements fabric. Be sure you hash tag your block #TimHoltzEclecticElements and #BerninaUSA.
Tim and a team of experts will select 24 of their favorite blocks. Winners will be announced on the Make It Coats Facebook page on January 22, 2016. The chosen blocks will then be sewn into a quilt which will be featured at the Spring International Quilt Market in Salt Lake City in May 2016. Best part, your entered block could win one of our 24 fantastic prizes!Top Prize: BERNINA B 350 PE Sewing Machine and 10 yards of Coats Eclectic Elements Tim Holtz fabric.
Runner Up: 10 yards of Coats Eclectic Elements Tim Holtz Fabric and Coats Dual Duty XP® All-Purpose thread, 50 pc. gift box.
Second Runner Up: 5 yards of Coats Eclectic Elements Tim Holtz Fabric and Coats Dual Duty XP® All-Purpose thread, 18 pc. thread kit.
4th – 24th prizes: 1- 5″ Coats Eclectic Elements Tim Holtz 25 pc. Charm Pack or 25 pc. Design Roll.
For more information about the Coats Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements Block Challenge, click here.
Don’t delay. Let your creative journey inspire you and start creating today!
Eclectic Elements Rail Fence Pincushion
By Carol Caraccia
Featuring Coats Ecelectic Elements by Tim Holtz
Finished size: 5″ (13.97cm) square
Eclectic Elements Collection by Tim Holtz
- (A) PWTH006.BLUEX 1/8 yd. (.11m)
- (B) PWTH008.NEUTR 1/8 yd. (.11m)
- (C) PWTH016.MULTI 1/8 yd. (.11m)
- (D) PWTH008.NEUTR (backing) 6″ (15.24) square
- Decorative button of choice
- Polyester fiberfill
- Coats Dual Duty XP® All Purpose thread
- Sewing machine
- Rotary cutter/mat/plastic ruler
- Iron/pressing board
- Basic sewing supplies
Note: WOF—Width of Fabric, LOF—Length of Fabric.
All seam allowances are ¼” (.64cm)
From each of Fabrics A, B, and C, cut:
(1) 1 ½” x 20″ (3.81 cm x 50.8 cm)
Instructions to sew the Rail Fence Pincushion:
- Sew the Fabric A, B, and C strips together lengthwise to make one strip unit. Crosscut (4) 3 ½” (8.89) square Rail Fence blocks from the strip unit.
- Refer to the project photo for guidance, arrange the 4 blocks in a square, rotating each one so that the same fabric strip along one outside edge is positioned in the middle. (Note: Two blocks should have the strips oriented vertically and two blocks should have the strips oriented horizontally.)
- Sew the two top blocks together—one vertical and one horizontal. Press seam toward the vertically oriented block.
- Sew the two bottom blocks together in reverse order of the top row. Press in the same manner.
- Sew the top and bottom rows together. Trim ¼” (.64 cm) off each side of the pin cushion top, squaring up to measure 6″ x 6″ (15.24 cm x 15.24 cm).
- Place the pieced pin cushion top, right sides together, with the backing square. Sew ¼” (.64 cm) away from the outside edge around three sides, leaving the fourth side open. Turn right side out and insert the fiberfill. Fold the raw edges under along the open edge and sew the opening closed by hand.
- Thread a hand sewing needle, insert through the center of the pincushion through all layers, and sew the button on, pulling on the thread so that the front and back of the pin cushion are drawn together. Secure thread.
Tim Holtz has A Gift For You!
One 1- 5″ Coats Eclectic Elements Tim Holtz 25 pc. Charm Pack will soon belong to one awesome WeAllSew fan. All you have to do is post a comment below answering the following question:
What is your favorite fabric collection from Tim Holtz?
A winner will be chosen at random on January 8, 2016 and announced the following week!