For Betty Stoltenburg‘s Sewapalooza samples she didn’t quite follow the instructions for the Ecco Table Topper. Her version is a long rectangle instead of a square! And it doubles nicely as a bed runner, too.
- BERNINA 8 Series sewing and embroidery machine and Jumbo Hoop (or other sewing and embroidery machine and largest hoop; center medallion will require multiple hoopings; example – 7 Series machine and Maxi Hoop)
- OESD Ecco Crafter’s Collection #21012
- Benartex Ecco collection (Kanvas)
- Ecco Dot – Navy
- Ecco Sphere – Turquoise and Lime
- Coordinating thread for construction
- Isacord embroidery thread in desired colors
- Terial Magic spray stabilizer
- OESD Fuse and Fix paper-backed fusible web
- OESD PolyMesh non-woven stabilizer
- 505 temporary adhesive
- Rotary cutter, mat, and ruler
- CutWork Tool (optional for applique)
- Teardrop Embroidery Foot #26
- Patchwork Foot with Guide #57/57D
- Binder Attachment #88 (optional for binding)
For applique, follow the instructions included with the Ecco embroidery collection. The only change I made was to use dark blue fabric instead of gray fabric for all nine applique blocks. For placement and tackdown stitches dark gray thread (#3644) was used instead of #0112 for this color change.
Step 1) Prepare the applique fabrics.
Treat the fabric with Terial Magic following the manufacturer’s instructions. (This will reduce the amount of stabilizer needed by one layer.)
Apply Applique Fuse and Fix to the wrong side of the applique pieces.
Steam the OESD PolyMesh stabilizer. Cut one 15″ x 21″ rectangle...
From the white fabric, cut one 15″ x 21″ rectangle and eight 6-1/2″” squares.
Cut the applique pieces uisng your preferred method as described in the instructions included on the CD that came with your Ecco embroidery collection.
Step 2) Make the Jumbo block.
Use 505 adhesive spray to temporarily bond the large PolyMesh rectangle to the wrong side of the white rectangle. Hoop in the Jumbo Hoop.
Load Ecco design #21012-14 onto your machine and select a basting box to stitch around the design area. Embroider the basting box and design.
When complete, remove the embroidered fabric from the hoop and trim to 10-1/2″ square.
Step 3) Make the small applique blocks.
Pick eight small applique blocks from the Ecco design collection (designs #21012-15 through 23).
Using the Large Oval Hoop, hoop one layer of PolyMesh stabilizer.
Apply 505 adhesive and adhere one of the 6-1/2″ squares of fabric.
Load and embroider one of the chosen designs. On the last color change, use either a white or light gray thread or omit completely.
Remove the fabric from the hoop and trim to 5-1/2″ square.
Repeat until all eight blocks are complete.
Step 4) Cut the solid fabric blocks and triangles.
From the Ecco Dots:
- Cut four 5-1/2″ squares
- Cut two 5-1/2″ x 10-1/2″ rectangles
From the Ecco Spheres:
- Cut five 8-3/8″ squares. Sub-cut on both diagonals to create four (4) side triangles per square for a total of 20 quarter-square triangles. (You’ll use 18 in the runner.)
- Cut two 2-1/4″ squares. Sub-cut on the diagonal to create two (2) corner triangles per square for a total of four (4) half-square triangles.
Step 5) Make Block A and Block B.
From the green fabric:
Cut three (3) strips, each 2-3/16″ x WOF (Width Of Fabric)
From the blue fabric:
Cut two (2) narrow strips, each 2-3/16″ x WOF
Cut two (2) wide strips, each 5-7/8″ x WOF
With right sides together, sew one green strip between two blue strips. Press seam allowances towards the blue. Cut into eighteen (18) 2-3/16″-wide strips.
With right sides together, sew one green strip to one wide blue strip. Press seam allowances toward the blue. Cut into thirty-six (36) 2-3/16″-wide strips.
Block A – With right sides together, sew a Strip 2 to each side of a Strip 1, both outer strips running in the same direction.Repeat for a total of four (4) blocks. Square to 5-1/2″ squares if necessary.
Block B – With right sides together, sew a Strip 2 to each side of a Strip 1, with outer strips running in opposite directions. Repeat for a total of fourteen (14) blocks. Square to 5-1/2″ squares if necessary.
Step 6) Assemble the patchwork.
Stitch blocks together as shown to form diagonal rows, noting the direction of the green “lines.” Press seam allowances toward Block A or B.
- Rows 1 and 10: Add corner triangles after pressing seam allowances toward Block A.
- Center Medallion Row: Stitch short upper and lower rows 5 and 6. Stitch short upper and lower rows 5 and 6 together. Sew medallion between short upper and lower row 5/6 pieces.
Sew rows together to form complete quilt top. Press.
Step 7) Complete the runner.
Quilt and bind the runner using your favorite methods.
Tip: Make coordinating napkins from 15″ squares of fabric, finishing the edges with an overlocker/serger rolled hem. The napkin rings were digitized in BERNINA Embroidery Software 7 and DesignWorks Software.