Holiday House Ornaments
Hello, We All Sew readers!
I would like to show you how to make these charming house ornaments to dress up your Christmas tree or to decorate your gift for someone special.
Materials to Make a Holiday House Ornament
Finished size is approximately 3 1/2″ wide x 5″ tall without the felt hanger. I used my Winter Tales collection for Rile Blake Designs , but you can use scraps of fabric and trims for this project, or grab some favorite fat quarters or other small measurements of fabrics.
- Main fabric: 4″ x 8”
- Contrast fabric: 4” x 6”
- Applique fabric: 1 1/2” x 1 1/4”
- Felt: 1/2” x 5”
- Lace trim 4”
- Fusible webbing such as Lite Steam A Seam2: 1 1/2” x 1 1/4”
- Dark color thread (I used Aurifil 28wt) and matching color threads
- Basic sewing supplies
- Download the Holiday House Ornament template
Note: All seam allowances are 1/4” unless otherwise noted.
- Download, print, and cut out the Holiday House Ornament template.
- From the main fabric, cut out two pieces measuring 4” x 4” each for the house front and back.
- From the contrast fabric, cut two pieces 4” x 2 3/4” each for the roof.
Adding the Window:
- Press the fusible web paper-side up onto the wrong side of the applique fabric following manufacturer’s instructions.
- Peel off the paper backing and place the applique window shape right side up onto the center of the right side of the house pieces (this will be house front).
- Stitch the window into place around the edge, and sew through the center vertically and horizontally by machine. You can use the Open embroidery foot #20 with a short straight stitch of about 1.7 mm to 2 mm in length. Stitch over the lines twice to give a machine embroidery effect.
Adding the Roof:
- Sandwich the lace trim in between the top of the house and the roof edge. Place the lace trim right sides down across the top edges of the house front, then place one contrast fabric piece right side down on top.
- Pin and then sew these three layers in place with a straight stitch.
- Press the seam up towards the roof fabric.
- Repeat these steps to make the house back.
Adding a Loop Hanger:
- Fold the felt strip in half to make a loop and pin the two short ends to the top of the right-hand side of the roof as pictured below.
- Stitch into place as shown close to the edge.
ASSEMBLE THE HOUSE
- Place the house front and back together with right sides facing.
- Place the roof template on the wrong side of the roof and trace around it.
- Sew the house front and back together with a 1/4” seam allowance from the edges of the house, and 1/4″ seam allowance around the traced lines of the roof, leaving a gap in the bottom of the house for turning.
- Trim the seam allowances outside of the drawn roof edges close to stitches.
- Turn the house the right way out and press, then stuff the ornament with polyester fiberfill.
- Hand stitch the opening closed.