How to Sew a Maxi Skirt
Want an easy way to look stylish, but feel comfortable at the same time? Sew up a customized maxi skirt – it’s easy to wear without sacrificing fashion!
- 1-1/2 to 2 yards of 60″-wide stretch jersey fabric
- coordinating sewing thread
- Yardstick or ruler
- Tape measure
- Water-soluble marker or tailor’s chalk
- Twin (Double) needle (optional)
Step 1) Find your measurements.
Tip: To guarantee the best results, it is important to take very accurate measurements. You may want to enlist the help of a friend and wear minimal clothing to achieve precise numbers.
Skirt Measurement A
- Place the tape measure around your body at the “waist” where you intend to wear your skirt. This can be your natural waistline (where your belly button is located) or lower (e.g. 1″ below belly button) depending on your comfort level.
- Waist Measurement = _____ inches
- Plug that number into this formula: Waist measurement divided by 2, plus 1/2″ seam allowance = _____ inches = Skirt Measurement A. For example, if your waist measurement is 30″, divide 30″ by 2 to get 15″, then add 1/2″ to get 15-1/2″ for Skirt Measurement A. You will use measurement A when cutting out your skirt.
- Skirt Measurement A = _____ inches
Skirt Measurement B
- Measure the length you want your skirt to be. To take this measurement, start at where you intend the “waist” of your skirt to be and end where you would like the finished skirt to end (ankles, floor, etc.). Keep in mind the shoes you may be wearing, as this could change the look and length of your design.
- Length Measurement = _____ inches
- Plug that number into this formula: Length measurements minus 2-1/2″ = Skirt Measurement B. For example, if you want your skirt to be 35″ long, subtract 2-1/2″ from 35″ to get Skirt Measurement B = 32-1/2″.
- Skirt Measurement B = _____ inches