Christmas Tree Greeting Card
Make a one-of-a-kind Greeting Card or Gift card for a special person this Christmas. The machine embroidery is super-easy and the variegated thread adds a ornamental touch.
Size: 4-1/4″ x 5-1/2″ designed by Nancy Mahoney.
Materials to create the Christmas Tree Greeting Card
- 7-1/2″ x 8″ rectangle of white print
- 8-1/2″ x 11″ piece of Self-adhesive Embroidery Stabilizer
- Mettler 30-wt variegated embroidery thread (I used col. 5381)
- Sewing Machine (I sew on a BERNINA 790)
- Embroidery foot #26
- Reverse pattern foot #1 / 1C / 1D)
- Embroidery needle for machine embroidery
- Sharp 80/12 needle for straight and zigzag stitching
- Straight Stitch plate for machine embroidery
- 5mm or 9mm Stitch plate for zigzag stitch
- Medium hoop for machine embroidery
- 5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ rectangle of red card stock for card base
- 5″ x 8″ rectangle of white card stock for inside lining of card
- Scoring tool (such as an awl)
- All-purpose glue or double-stick tape
- Glue stick
Instructions to assemble the Card
Attach the embroidery module to your machine. Install an embroidery needle and an embroidery foot. Thread the machine with 30-wt thread. Select an embroidery design; on my BERNINA 790, I selected HG319 and reduced the size to 67 x 114 mm, or 75% of the original. Refer to the manual for your machine for help setting up your machine.
Measure about 2-1/8″ from each short end of the stabilizer. Lightly score the paper with a knife and remove the center section of the paper. Place the white rectangle on top of the adhesive side of the stabilizer; press firmly. Then place the stabilized fabric in the medium hoop.
Embroider the design. Remove the hoop from your machine.
Fold the piece of red card stock in half, to make a 4-1/2″ x 5-1/2″ card. (Tip: For a perfectly straight crease, lay a ruler along the desired fold line; then run a scoring tool along the ruler’s edge to score the card.) Remove the embroidered design from the hoop. Trim the stitched design to 3-1/2″ x 4-3/4″, keeping the design centered. Using a glue stick, apply glue to the center of the card front. Then, adhere the trimmed design to the card front.
Install a Reverse patchwork foot, a 5mm or 9mm Stitch plate, and an 80/12 needle. Using a straight stitch, topstitch around the outer edges of the stitched design to secure the piece in place.
Select a zigzag stitch. Set the width to 3.0 and the length to 0.40. Carefully, satin stitch around the embroidered piece.
Fold the piece of white card stock in half, to make a 4″ x 5″ inner card. Center and glue (or tape) the white card to the inside of the red card to cover up the machine stitches.
Now, you just have to write your personal greeting and send it to someone you love!
Our December 6 Gift For You
Today’s gift is a BERNINA neoprene laptop sleeve to one awesome WeAllSew fan. All you have to do is post a comment below answering the following question:
What would be your favorite design for your personal Christmas greeting card?
A winner will be chosen at random on December 7, 2015 and announced later this week!
Congratulations to our WeAllSew reader “crathunde”, the winner of the December 6 gift. Enjoy!