Hello WeAllSew readers,
I am excited to share this easy to make Round Zipper Pouch today. Easy to follow sewing instructions will have you finish this little handy bag in one afternoon! Who wouldn’t love a handy little bag? They’re fun to make and handy to have around. This pouch would make a perfect gift too for any occasion!
Materials to Sew Cosmetic Zipper Pouch
Finished size: 8” wide x 5 1/2” height
Fabric used: Bloom collection by CottonVill
- 1 Fat quarter cotton print A for exterior
- 1 Fat quarter cotton print B for exterior
- 1 Fat quarter cotton print C for lining
- 1 Fat quarter medium weight fusible batting
- 1 zipper – 8”
- 2 cotton lace – 8 1/2” x 1/2”
- leather strip for tab and embroidery thread (optional)
- Download the Round Zipper Pouch pattern.
- from print A, cut: two (2) 8 1/2” x 3 1/2”
- from print B, cut: two (2) 8 1/2” x 3”
- from print C, cut: one Pouch Body outer line
- from fusible batting, cut: one Pouch Body inner line
Note: All seam allowances are 1/4″ unless otherwise noted.
Prepare the strips
1. Sew print A to print B, matching long edges, with the right sides. Press seams to the dark print side. Repeat for the other side of the pouch.
2. Place the lace on top of the dark fabric and sew as shown below.
2. Fuse the batting on the wrong side of the pouch exterior. Trace the Pouch Body outer line and trim the excess.
Trace the Pouch Body outer line on the lining.
3. Place the zipper on top of the exterior, right sides together. You will be able to see the wrong side of the zipper. Fold zipper ends as shown. Pin in place and sew using a zipper foot.
4. With the wrong side up, lay pouch lining on the zipper, matching the top edges. Sew through the layer, using the previous stitching line as a guide.
5. Repeat the step 3-4 to attach the other side of the zipper to the exterior and the lining. Topstitch 1/8” from the edge.
6. Lay flat the pouch as shown. Fold the leather tab in half and slide in one side of the pouch exterior, about 1” down from the zipper.
7. Sew the sides, matching raw edges, leaving an opening on the lining. Use 3/8” – 1/2” seam when sewing the lining sides for the tight fit. Clip the round corners using a pair of scissors. Make sure to leave the zipper half open.
7. Pinch the ends of an opening together to flatten the material. Match up seams and pin well. Sew together along this edge. Make sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of the seam for strength. Repeat on the 3 remaining sides.
Using a seam ripper, make an opening on one lining side.
8. Turn right side out through the opening and hand stitch or machine sew the gap closed. Then tuck the inner pouch into the outer and press everything nice and neat. If you wish you can add stitching elements to the pouch. I used hand stitching using one strand of Aurifil 12wt thread.
My new book Zakka Wool Appliqué is out from Stash Books.
Zakka Wool Appliqué Book Giveaway
Our contest is now closed, thanks to all who participated. Congratulations to our winner, WeAllSew fan deenyb!
One lucky WeAllSew reader will win a digital copy (e-book) of Minki’s latest book Zakka Wool Appliqué.
All you have to do is post a comment below and answer the question:
“What is your favorite BERNINA presser foot for appliqué?”
The the giveaway is open through Friday, June 5th.
The giveaway is open to residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. One comment per fan. Comment must be submitted to the WeAllSew.com blog by Friday, June 5, 2020 at 11:59 PM Central Time. Winner will be chosen randomly. Winner will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to contact to claim the prize.