DIY Cosmetic Zipper Pouch
Hello WeAllSew readers,
I am excited to share this easy to make DIY Cosmetic Zipper Pouch today. It is perfect for travel, storage at home, as a gift or for any reason that you want a great cosmetic bag pattern. Easy to follow sewing instructions will have you finish this little handy bag in one afternoon! Who wouldn’t love a handy little bag? They’re fun to make and handy to have around. Stuff this little makeup bag full of cosmetics or any other little trinkets that you need to tote.
This pouch would make a perfect gift too for any occasion!
Materials to Sew Cosmetic Zipper Pouch
Finished size: 8” wide x 5 1/2” height x 2” deep
- 1 Fat quarter cotton print A for exterior ( Dorothy’s Journey collection by Jill Howarth for Riley Blake Designs.)
- 1 Fat quarter cotton print B for exterior ( my Someday Chicken Navy print for Riley Blake Designs.)
- 1 Fat quarter cotton print C for lining (Dorothy’s Journey collection by Jill Howarth for Riley Blake Designs.)
- 1 Fat quarter medium weight fusible batting
- 1 zipper – 8”
- 1 cotton ribbon – 1/2” x 2”
- leather tag and embroidery thread (optional)
- Download the Cosmetic Zipper Pouch Pattern
- from print A, cut: two (2) 10 3/4” x 4 1/2”
- from print B, cut: one (1) 10 3/4” x 5 1/2”
- from print C, cut: one Pouch Body outer line
- from fusible batting, cut: one Pouch Body inner line
Note: All seam allowances are 1/4″ unless otherwise noted.
Prepare the strips
1. Sew print A – print B – print A, matching long edges, with right side. Press seams to the dark print side. Trace the Pouch Body outer line and trim the excess.
2. Fuse the batting on the wrong side of the pouch exterior. Topstitch 1/8” along the sew lines. (optional)
3. Place the zipper on top of the exterior, right sides together. You will be able to see the wrong side of the zipper. Fold zipper ends as shown. Pin in place and sew using a zipper foot.
4. With the wrong side up, lay pouch lining on the zipper, matching the top edges. Sew through the layer, using the previous stitching line as a guide.
5. Repeat the step 3-4 to attach the other side of the zipper to the exterior and the lining.
6. Lay flat the pouch as shown. Fold the cotton ribbon in half and slide in one side of the pouch exterior, about 3/4” down from the zipper. Sew the sides, matching raw edges. Use 3/8” – 1/2” seam when sewing the lining sides for the tight fit.
Make sure to leave the zipper half open.
7. Pinch the ends of an opening together to flatten the material. Match up seams and pin well. Sew together along this edge. Make sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of the seam for strength. Repeat on the 3 remaining sides.
Using a seam ripper, make an opening on one lining side.
8. Turn right side out through the opening and hand stitch the gap closed. Then tuck the inner pouch into the outer and press everything nice and neat and you are DONE!
You can find more bag and pouch patterns on my shop sewingillustration.com.
My new book Zakka from the Heart will be out this October from Stash Books.
I can’t wait to put it in your hands and hope to share more when it’s the time!