Hi sewing friends, It’s Minki Kim from Minki’s Work Table. I would like to share my Lemon tea cozy and matching tea mats for your spring tea time or tea time for all year long. Double your tea time by adding a handmade touch. Pop on a tea cozy to keep things toasty while the tea is brewing. It will always keep your tea warm between cups!
Boil your kettle and bake a batch of muffin. Call your friend for a little date on any given day. The best gift is spending time together. I love to add little details here and there that’s not too much nor not too boring, just right amount of your attention to the detail often brings satisfying results.
Finished size: Tea Cozy 8 3/4″ x 10″, Tea Mat 10 1/2″ x 9″
Materials to make a Spring Tea Time Set
- Fat quarter dot print
- Fat quarter blue rose print
- 10″ square red and blue plaid
- 11″ x 4″ strip gray solid
- (1) 1/2 yard backing fabric
- 1 set of mini wooden spools(I bought at Michaels) or buttons
- 1/2″ x 5″ cotton ribbon
- Red embroidery thread
- Assorted prints
- 1/2 yard cotton batting
- Fusible web
- Embroidery thread
- Aurifil 50-weight, 40-weight, 12-weight thread
- Open embroidery foot (BERNINA Open embroidery foot #20/#20C/#20D)
- Your sewing machine: I sew on BERNINA 350 PE
- Tea mat pattern
- Tea cozy pattern
- From small dot, cut: (1) 9 1/4″ x 7 1/4″
- From blue rose, cut: (1) 9 1/4″ x 2 1/2″
- From gray, cut: (1) 9 1/4″ x 3/4″
- From blue and red plaid, cut: (1) 7 3/4″ x 2 1/4″
- From navy, cut: (1) 2 1/2″ x 2 1/4″
- From backing fabric, cut: (1) 11″ x 9 1/2″
- From small dot, cut: (1) 9″ x 6 1/2″ , (1) 9″ x 7″
- From blue rose, cut: (2) 5″ x 9″
- From gray, cut: (1) 9 1/2″ x 3/4″
- From blue and red plaid, cut: (1) 3″ x 6 1/2″ , (1) – 2 1/2″ square to add binding strip
- From blue, cut: (1) 9 1/2″ x 3/4″
- From backing fabric, cut: (2) 11″ x 9 1/2″
- From navy, cut: (1) 22″ x 2 1/2″ binding strip
How to make a Spring Tea Mat
1. Sew gray strip to small dot and press seam one side. Sew blue rose strip to gray strip.
Then sew navy square to blue and red plaid strip. Sew step 1 and step 2 together.
2. Using fusible web, cut out the appliqué shapes and iron to the blue dot print.
3. Cut batting a little larger than the tea mat front. Place on the wrong side of the tea mat front and pin in place.
Using an appliqué or open-toe foot to see better, set your stitch length 3.0. With 12 wt gray thread , straight-stitch just inside the appliqué pieces, through the batting. (if you use 50wt thread, shorten the stitch length from 1.8 to 2.)
4. Stitch along the marked words by machine or by hand. I used Aurifil 40 weight dark brown thread.
5. Place backing fabric(blue gingham), on top of the tea mat front, facing right sides and measure 11″ x 9 1/2″ and trim the excess. Sew the backing fabric and the tea mat together around all edges, RST, leaving about 3″ opening for turning.
Clip corners, turn right side out, and press. Slip-stitch opening closed and quilt as desired. I hand stitched using 2 strands of embroidery threads.
How to make a Spring Tea Cozy
1. Sew blue and red plaid rectangle to small dot. Sew gray strip to blue rose. Sew two pieces together as the picture. Place batting on the wrong side of the tea cozy. Hand quilting or machine stitch as desire.
2. Repeat step 1 and make two for the other side.
3. As the same method, machine appliqué tea cup motif on small dot.
4. Add hand stitch. (optional)
5. For the top, grab the wooden spools or buttons, cotton ribbon and red embroidery thread. Cut cotton ribbon in half to 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ long each, and slide in one end to mini wooden spool. If you are using decorative buttons, sew each button to the end of each ribbon piece. Fold in the raw end of cotton ribbon and stitch a couple of times to secure using 2 strands of red embroidery threads. Repeat and make two. Mark the center of tea cozy and pin the tops in place and before sew them together.
6. Place two pieces together, right side facing and draw the sew line as the tea cozy template. Insert the tap on the center and pit in place. Sew them together. Place two backing fabrics together, right side facing. draw the sew line as the tea cozy template and sew them together. Insert lining inside of the tea cozy, wrong side facing. Place the binding around the opening and pin in place.
7. Bind with navy solid 2 1/2 x 25″ stirips.
I hope you enjoy making spring tea time set.