Scrappy Coaster Set
Hello WeAllSew readers,
With Mother’s Day on the way, I would like to share my Scrappy Coaster Set idea to sew for mom.
Materials to Sew Scrappy Coaster Set
- Assorted strips: nineteen (19) total, (I used fabric scraps by Riley Blake Designs including my Serendipity collection.)
- One 1 1/2″ x 19″ strip to start, other various strips 1 1/2″ by various lengths (read on below)
- 1 Fat quarter cotton print for the lining
- 1 Fat quarter cotton batting
- rotary cutter
- cutting mat
- Basic Sewing Supplies
- batting: 14” x 14”
- lining: for (4) 6 1/2” x 6 1/2”
Note: All seam allowances are 1/4″ unless otherwise noted.
Prepare the strips
1. Arrange assorted strips until you are pleased. I gathered yellow prints and arranged in order of dark-light-dark.
2. Draw a 1 1/2″ strip on the center of the 14” batting, diagonally, using a temporary marking pen. Center and place the strip in between the marked lines.
3. Place another strip on top of the first strip, with right sides together. Sew along the raw edges on the right-hand side, sewing through the batting. Open the fabric and press the seam outward.
4. With the same manner, sew the strips and press seam outward.
5. Repeat the steps 3 ~ 4, and sew the other side as shown below.
6. Trim into 13” x 13” using a rotary cutter.
7. And then cut into four 6 1/2” x 6 1/2” squares.
8. Place 6 1/2” x 6 1/2” lining on top of coaster with the right sides facing and pin in place.
9. Sew all the way around, leaving a gap for turning. Turn right side out and press. Hand stitch the gap closed. And then quilt as desired using a walking foot.
I hope you have a happy Mother’s Day!
*Additionally, I made a zipper pouch using the leftover stripes.