Summer Sparkle Quilt-Along: Part 1
Hello everyone! Several years ago, when I first started quilting, I had grand plans to make quilts for each holiday. I thought it would be fun to have handmade decorations in the house that I could display during each season. I am so happy to finally have a quilt for the 4th of July and hope you will quilt along during the month of June to make your own.
If you happen to be from another country, this quilt can easily be adapted to use your national colors. Or if you have an entirely different color scheme in mind, go ahead and get creative!
Finished Quilt Size: 50” x 60”
The Summer Sparkle Quilt is made up of two sizes of Sawtooth Stars – 10” and 4” finished. When I designed this quilt, I wanted to add interest by using color in a fun way. Each block uses a gradient of pinks and blues, starting with light and working down to dark. This look can be accomplished by using solid fabrics or prints. Notice in this test block, I changed my colors as well, creating a really pretty sunset effect.
For my Summer Sparkle Quilt, I used Color Block Ombre fabric from Vanessa Christenson of V & Co’s Color Me Happy line for Moda. This fabric has strips of 4 shades of blue or pink. Using this is a convenient way to make an ombre quilt without having to coordinate separate fabrics. I provide both the yardage requirements for using V&Co’s Color Block Ombre, as well as your own fabric choices.
The Summer Sparkle Quilt Along will follow the below schedule:
- Week 1 – Fabric Requirements and Cutting
- Week 2 – Block Assembly
- Week 3 – Quilt Top Assembly and Quilting
It’s okay if you need extra time to make your quilt – the instructions will be online and waiting for you when you are ready. Let’s get started!
Week 1: Choose and cut fabrics.
- 2 yards Color Block Ombre in Navy
- 2 yards Color Block Ombre in Pink
- 2 yards White
- OR -
- 1/2 yard Faded Blue (lightest shade)
- 1/2 yard Light Blue
- 1/2 yard Medium Blue
- 1/2 yard Dark Blue (darkest shade)
- 1/2 yard Faded Pink (lightest shade)
- 1/2 yard Light Pink
- 1/2 yard Medium Pink
- 1/2 yard Dark Pink (darkest shade)
- 2 yards White
Quilt Backing, Binding and Batting
- 1/2 yard Binding Fabric
- 3-1/3 yards Backing Fabric
- 60” x 70” Piece of Batting
Tip: If using Color Block Ombre fabric, cut your fabric into separate color strips first.
Use the charts below to cut your fabrics for Block A and Block B. I’ve provided block diagrams simply to help you visualize where each shade of pink and blue is used.
Click HERE for a corrected downloadable fabric requirements guide: Summer_Sparkle_-_corrected_fabric_guide.pdf (1.4 MiB, 1,426 hits)
Summer_Sparkle_-_corrected_fabric_guide.pdf (1.4 MiB, 1,426 hits)
[The original blue fabric cutting chart had a typo – our fault, not Faith's – below is the corrected chart.]
[The original pink fabric cutting chart had a typo – our fault, not Faith's – below is the corrected chart.]
[The original fabric cutting chart had a typo – our fault, not Faith's – below is the corrected chart.]
Next week I will be back with tutorials and tips for block assembly! Happy planning and cutting everyone!
- Related content to Post: Sheer Crazy! Holiday Patchwork Photo Memory Pillows Summer Sparkle Quilt-Along: Part 2 Summer Sparkle Quilt-Along: Part 3
- Category: projects, quilting, what's hot
- Tags of Post: 4th of july, fourth of july, holiday, independence day, patchwork, quilt-along, sawtooth star
- Trackback URL: http://weallsew.com/2014/06/02/summer-sparkle-quilt-along-part-1/