Charming Pocket Apron Tutorial
It’s Minki from Minki’s Worktable. I would like to share how I made this simple apron with appliqué designs on the pocket.
The sweet hand embroidery pattern is from Simple Stitched with Applique by Yumiko Higuchi, published by Zakka Workshop. Zakka Workshop will send a copy of this book to one lucky winner, so scroll down to the bottom of the tutorial to read how to enter!
Materials to Make a Charming Pocket Apron
- 1 1/4yard of gray cotton + Fat quarter for the pocket (I used yarndied fabric by Lecien fabrics.)
- 1 yard cotton ribbon
- 1 set of snap fastener kit (I bought at Joann fabric store.)
- 1 set of eyelet
- Felt scrap
- Embroidery floss ( I used Aurifil 12wt no.2311)
- 1 small D-shape ring
- cotton label
- Download the Charming Pocket Apron Template
How to Sew the Charming Pocket Apron
- Cut two (2) 12” x 10” rectangles of gray cotton for the pocket. Stitch designs on one square for the pocket as you desire. With right sides together, sew all the way around leaving a gap for turning. After stitching, turn the pocket right side out and press.
- Close the opening on the top of the pocket with a quick running stitch.
- Refer to the Apron Diagram below and fold the fabric in half. Draw the apron shape. Cut.
- When sewing the apron corners, follow the steps below.
Fold up the corner about 1/4″ and press.
Fold the corner up again another 1/4″ and press.
Next, fold edges up 1/2″ inch and press.
Make sure corner folds meet nicely, and press these corners well.
Turn raw edges under to the folded edge, press well.
Topstitch on folded edge using a straight stitch foot like the Patchwork foot #37.
5. For top edge of apron, fold down 1/4″ and press, then fold down 1″ and topstitch. For the neck strap, cut one 29” piece of cotton ribbon and fold both ends, stitch to one corner of the apron to secure. Attach eyelet on one side.
6. Bias fold 2” x 1 1/4” gray fabic and slide in D-shape ring. Pin in place on the other corner of the apron, and cover with decorative label. Sew a couple times to secure.
7. For the waist closer, attach plastic snap fastener to each back corner of the apron following manufacturer’s instruction.
Enjoy your Charming Pocket Apron! I hope you enjoy making this charming apron. It will make a perfect Christmas gift as well.
Win a copy of Simpy Stitched with Appliqué
One Lucky WeAllSew fan will win a copy of Simply Stitched by Yumiko Higuchi! All you have to do is post a comment below and answer the question, “Do you wear an apron in the kitchen?” The the giveaway is open through Friday, November 24.
The giveaway is open to residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia. One comment per fan. Comment must be submitted to the WeAllSew.com blog by Friday, November 24, 11:59 PM Central Time. Winner will be chosen randomly. Winner will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to contact to claim the prize.