Hello WeAllSew readers,
It’s Minki Kim, and you can find me on Instagram @zeriano and MinkiKim.com. I also design fabric for Riley Blake Designs and I have my own line of sewing patterns. You can also find my video tutorials on my YouTube channel, YouTube.com/Minkikim that I upload new tutorials every Monday and Thursday.
I am excited to share this fun Pencil Case today.
Finished size: 8″ wide x 5 1/2″ height x 2″ deep
Materials to Sew the Pencil Case
- Pouch exterior: one (1) 8 3/4”W x 8”H
- Pouch lining: two(2) 8 3/4”W x 4 1/4”H
- Fusible interfacing: one (1) 8 3/4”W x 8”H, two (2) 8 3/4”W x 4 1/4”H
- Zipper: 8”, metal zipper
- Seam allowances are 1/4″ unless otherwise noted
- Fabrics used: my newest fabric, Hidden Cottage for Riley Blake Designs
Steps to Sew the Pencil Case
- Fuse the interfacing pieces to the wrong side of the exterior and lining panels.
- With right sides down and zipper pull left, center the zipper and pin in place. Change to a zipper foot and stitch the zipper.
- Layer the lining panel on the zipper and stitch with right sides together, aligning long raw edges.
- Bring both panels away from the zipper and press. Topstitch using a 1/8” seam allowance, backstitching at the beginning and end.Note: Do NOT stitch both 1/4” ends.
- Bring the exterior panel bottom edge up and align with the top zipper tape. Pin and place and stitch along the pinned edge.
- With the wrong side up, stitch the remaining lining panel to the zipper tape.
- Repeat step 4 and topstitch.
- Open the zipper halfway, align and pin the lining panels, long raw edges together. Stitch along the pinned edge, leaving about 3” opening.
- Stitch the zipper pull-side edges together as shown.
- With right sides together and zipper on the center, press the opposite side edge flat and pin in place.