A Guide to BERNINA Free-Motion Presser Feet
Free-motion stitching offers a variety of techniques, both decorative and practical. Thread painting, darning, needle sketching, free-motion quilting and embroidered eyelets are just a few of the techniques you can stitch by lowering the feed dog and moving the fabric with your hands.
Free-Motion Presser Feet
Free-motion presser feet are designed to sit above the fabric without touching it to give you room to move it as you stitch. The vertical spring action of these feet works with the hopper mechanism of the machine to hold the fabric down as the needle moves up and down. BERNINA has eleven presser feet designed for free-motion stitching. When choosing which one to use, it depends on the technique you are stitching, the materials you are sewing and/or your preference.
Darning Foot #9, Embroidery Foot #15, and Freehand Embroidery Foot #24
- Darning Foot #9 is the original BERNINA free-motion presser foot. Even though this foot was designed for mending and darning, it works for most free-motion techniques.
- Embroidery Foot #15 is a machine embroidery presser foot but also works for many free-motion techniques. The larger opening in the sole makes it useful if you want to sew free-motion stitching with a double needle.
- Freehand Embroidery Foot #24 is similar to Darning Foot #9, but it has a cut-away in the front of the foot to make it easy to follow a marked pattern as you stitch.
Embroidery Foot #26, Quilting Foot #29/29C
- Embroidery Foot #26 is the current present foot included with BERNINA embroidery machines but can be used for many free-motion techniques.
- Quilting Foot #29/29C is a foot designed for quilting on both thick and thin battings. The clear sole makes it easy to see the fabric under the sole of the foot as you stitch. The wide needle opening lets you quilt with zigzag as well as straight stitches.
BERNINA Stitch Regulator #42
- The BERNINA Stitch Regulator is compatible with several BERNINA models and offers straight and zigzag stitch capabilities. Each BSR has three interchangeable soles (closed metal, open metal, and large clear) offering variety and versatility. The BSR regulates the stitches so they are even and consistent and can be used for any free-motion technique.
Free-Motion Couching Foot #43 and Echo Quilting and CutWork Foot #44C
- Free-Motion Couching Foot #43 is designed to hold a 2mm cord so it can be stitched to fabric, adding color and texture. This is the only technique this foot is equipped to stitch.
- Echo Quilting and CutWork Foot #44C is suitable for echo quilting and other free-motion techniques. This presser foot has a large clear sole that compresses a large area around the needle, increasing visibility as it moves over the fabric. Cross-hairs and concentric circle markings aid in accurate stitch placement, especially useful when echo stitching.
Adjustable Ruler Foot #72, Adjustable Stippling Foot #73 and Eyelet Feet #92
- Adjustable Ruler Foot #72 is designed for rulerwork and has a sole that is ¼” thick. Foot #72 is used with shaped rulers that are also ¼” thick. The foot is guided along the edge of the ruler to stitch precise patterns and shapes. Use the gold dial on the side of the foot to adjust the height of the foot to accommodate the thickness of a quilt.
- Adjustable Stippling Foot #73 is a height-adjustable, free-motion presser foot. It’s perfect for quilting swirl patterns and specific techniques such as meandering, stippling and micro stippling. Foot #73 is a matte gray color, rather that shiny silver, reducing glare from the foot as you stitch.
- Eyelet Foot #92 is designed for making embroidered eyelets. Included with Eyelet Set #82, this presser foot is only used for this particular technique. The vertical spring action of the foot holds the fabric down as the needle stitches the eyelet.
Click here to see posts on free-motion stitching techniques.
For more information on BERNINA free-motion presser feet, see The Big Book of Feet at your local BERNINA store. Click here to locate a BERNINA store near you.
What you might also like
5 comments on “A Guide to BERNINA Free-Motion Presser Feet”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
I need a stippling foot, for my QE 230. I tried a #24 however it did not work.
I would like it with the open area, not a full circle……help please. Thanks