Gypsy Queen Patchwork Pillow
While organizing my sewing room a couple of weeks ago, I came across some Artisan Fabrics that I had laying around, and of course I had to come up with a new project for it. So I decided to create this bohemian Gypsy Queen Pillow Case, which also has a bit of The Denim Studio by AGF. Have fun creating this artsy piece of home décor with some amazing decorative stitches!
Materials to sew the Gypsy Queen Pillow Case:
- Fat Eighth of ART-43103 from Artisan Fabrics FABRIC A
- Fat Eighth of ART-53105 from Artisan Fabrics FABRIC B
- Fat Eighth of ART-53108 from Artisan Fabrics FABRIC C
- Fat Eighth of ART-53105 from Artisan Fabrics FABRIC D
- Fat Eighth of DEN-S-2005 from The Denim Studio by AGF FABRIC E
- 2/3 of DEN-T-3002 from The Denim Studio by AGF FABRIC F
- 1/2 yard of batting
- Universal needles, size 80/12
- Your sewing machine and embroidery machine. I sew on a BERNINA 790
- Open embroidery foot #20/#20C/#20D and an all-purpose presser foot like the Reverse pattern foot #1/#1C/#1D
- AURIFIL cotton thread #2783
- Erasable fabric pen
- Cut 2 (two) 1″ by 10″ of FABRIC A
- Cut 2 (two) 1″ by 10″ of FABRIC B
- Cut 2 (two) 1″ by 10″ of FABRIC C
- Cut 2 (two) 1″ by 10″ of FABRIC D
- Cut 2 (two) 1″ by 10″ of FABRIC E
- Cut 2 (two) 9″ by 10″ of FABRIC F
- Cut 2 (two) 9″ by 15″ of FABRIC F
- 6″ by 10″ of batting
- Cut 2 (two) 9″ by 10″ of batting
Step 1: Decorative Stitches
Change stitch number on your machine to decorative stitch #468, or a decorative stitch of your choice.
Prior to stitching, using your erasable pen to trace three lines 1” apart (from edge of the fabric to the right) for a guide to follow while sewing.
Once the first row is complete, change the stitch number to #117, or choose a different decorative stitch.
Follow the next drawn line as a guide while sewing.
Now go back to stitch #468 (or the first decorative stitch used), but this time you will turn your piece to sew in the other direction. Now, you will have a piece looking like this. Trim extra batting and repeat the same step with the last 9″ by 10″ piece of FABRIC F.
Step 2: Center Piece Decorative Stitching
Take all the 1″ by 10″ pieces of FABRIC A, B, C, D and E and place them as shown below.
Using a 1/4” seam allowance, stitch the first two strips together from top to bottom.
Press seams to the side.
Continue by adding the next strip to sew with a 1/4″ seam, right sides together.
NOTE: In order to have straight edges when sewing strips, flip the direction in which you are stitching. That way, the final piece will not have curvy edges.
Continue pressing seams to the same side as you stitch them.
Continue with the rest of the fabric pieces following the order on the first image above. You will end up with a piece looking like this, don’t forget to trim the edges.
Stitch only on Fabric E stripes.
For the backing of your pillow, take the remaining 2 (two) 9″ by 15″ of FABRIC F and follow Step 3- Pillow Backing of The Essence Pillow Case and you are good to go!