Hello! I am Cherry Guidry, BERNINA Ambassador, fabric and pattern designer, and I am so happy to be sharing my latest Christmas quilt at WeAllSew, Vintage Ornaments, a new Quilt-Along project focused on fusible applique. Yes, it is only May, but you know, it’s never too late to get started on those holiday projects, right?
When the boys were just babies, we lived in a small town where a favorite street of ours was always beautifully decorated for the holidays and it became the perfect inspiration for my new Christmas collection for Contempo Studio – Benartex, Mulberry Lane, the fabric I used to make Holiday Ornaments.
Beginning in June and ending in October, we will work on simple piecing, talk about some of my favorite applique tips while making eight easy applique blocks, and finish the project with some great quilting options. The throw finishes at 41″ x 60″ and will be ready just in time for Christmas!
Materials to Make the Holiday Ornaments Quilt
Choose a favorite Christmas fabric or use the prints in Mulberry Lane; check with your local BERNINA dealer for a kit to Holiday Ornaments:
- 3 yds Snowflake White (1896-09) – backgrounds, borders, and appliques
- ¼ yd Snowflake Lt Turquoise (1896-80) – blocks and appliques
- ½ yd Snowflake Dk Turquoise (1896-85) – Blocks, borders, and appliques
- ¼ yd Snowflake Green (1896-42) – blocks and appliques
- ¼ yd Snowflake Lime (1896-44) – blocks and appliques
- *FE Snowflake Red (1896-10) – appliques
- *FE Star Geo Lime (1893-44) – appliques
- ⅓ yd Star Geo Turquoise (1893-09) – appliques and cornerstones
- ⅝ yd Circle Dot Red (1895-10) – appliques and binding
- *FE Street Scene Lt Turquoise (1898-80) – appliques
- *FE Snowman Dk Turquoise (1894-85) – appliques
- *FE Snowman Red Turquoise (1894-10) – appliques
- *FE Village Lt Turquoise (1891-80) – appliques
- *FE Holiday Fun Lt Turquoise (1897-80) – appliques
- 3 yds Backing
- Batting – twin size, I used EverSewn 100% Bamboo
*FE = Fat Eighth 9″ x 20″ cut of fabric
Download the Vintage Ornaments Quilt fabric requirements here.
Piecing and applique threads to coordinate with the applique fabrics. I used the following Aurifil 50wt threads that match my fabric perfectly:
- White (2024)
- Light turquoise (5006)
- Turquoise (2810)
- Grass green (1114)
- Light leaf green (1147)
- Red (2250)
Sewing machine – I sew on the amazing BERNINA 880
- Patchwork foot #37/#37D or Patchwork foot with guide #57/#57D
- Open embroidery foot #20/20C/20D
- Adjustable Ruler foot #72
- Walking Foot #50
- BERNINA Stitch Regulator (BSR)
- Embroidery foot #15
- Straight stitch needle plate
- Sewing machine needles: Microtex 70/10 and 80/12
- Rotary cutter, ruler and mat
- Paper-backed fusible
- Fabric scissors
- Paper scissors
- Fine tip permanent pen (black Sharpie)
- Light box
- Quilting gloves—(I use Machingers)
So gather your supplies and come back on June 14 when we’ll cut the quilt and learn to applique the first two blocks.
I hope you’ll join the fun!