Buh-Bye Boring Leather!
Create a fashionable leather bracelet to add to your accessory collection.
Materials to Sew a Leather Bracelet
- BERNINA Topstitch or Cordonnet Needles
- Heavy weight thread of choice
- 12 wt thread used in this project
- BERNINA Zigzag foot with non-stick sole #52C
- Leather straps
- Your sewing machine, we sew on a BERNINA 570 QE
- Leather glue
- Buttonhole cutter and block (optional)
SELECT DECORATIVE STITCH
- Select decorative stitches that stitch back over the stitch a couple of times to make the stitching more prominent.
- It is best not to select stitches that stitch close to each other or it may pierce the leather too many times.
- Stitch pattern 303 on the BERNINA 570 QE was used in this project.
- Other stitch pattern suggestions are 301, 305, 308, 702, 709, 711
ATTACH #52C FOOT
- The BERNINA Zigzag foot with non-stick sole #52C is one of several non-stick feet available. They are designed for stitching on “difficult or sticky” materials such as microfiber fabrics, plastic, vinyl and leather.
THIS FOOT REALLY GLIDES
- The special coating helps the feet slide over “sticky” materials, letting them move freely under the needle.
- The Non-Stick Foot #52C is also perfect for stitching 9mm wide stitches on the leather straps for the bracelets.
- Stitch slowly to ensure that when the machine stitches back over a previous part of the stitch it will stitch into the same needle hole.
- The B 570 DC motor gives great penetration power and has the ability to sew through the thickest of leathers.
GET HOOKED UP
- Select the clasp and slip it over the end of the leather strap.
- If the leather strap is too wide for the clasp use the buttonhole cutter with wooden block to cut the end of the leather the appropriate size.
- Depending on the type of clasp used, a drop of leather glue may be needed to secure the clasp to the leather
Difficulty level: Beginner
Time to Complete: Evening
Used Material: 12 wt cotton thread, BERNINA Topstitch needle, block, buttonhole cutter, clasps, cordonnet needles, leather glue, leather straps
Projects: bracelet, Crafts, fashion
Seasons: all seasons, fall, spring, summer
Techniques: crafts, sewing, sewing with leather